Today is a day for the history books, as Queen Bey turns 40!
There’s no denying that Beyoncé has made an incredible mark on, not just the music industry, throughout her career, but fashion, film and pop culture as well.
She sets the bar for dedication to her craft, work ethic and creativity, while remaining a genuinely humble, socially conscious and gracious human being. She’s not only the embodiment of a powerhouse, but she’s also been a fantastic role model for me and countless others over the years.
My fan girling of Beyoncé developed back when Destiny’s Child first emerged in the charts. But solidified when my Mam passed away in 2001 when I was 13, and I found solace and strength in the Destiny’s Child album Survivor. That album saved my life, I can say without any doubt, and Beyoncé felt more like the big sister I never had. Since then, as I’ve grown into my 30’s, Beyoncé’s music has always been there for me through ups and downs. It’s been a joy to watch her grow as an artist and as a person.
And as today marks her 40th birthday, I’m ranking my all time top 40 Beyoncé songs (including collabs and Destiny’s Child) to celebrate:
39. Savage Remix (with Megan Thee Stallion)
38. LoveHappy (with Jay-Z)
37. Lose My Breath (Destiny’s Child)
34. Me, Myself and I
33. Mine (ft. Drake)
32. Standing on the Sun
31. Telephone (with Lady Gaga)
30. Grown Woman
28. Sexy Daddy (Destiny’s Child)
27. No, No, No pt.2 – (Destiny’s Child ft. Wycliffe Jean)
26. Single Ladies
25. I Miss You
22. Why Don’t You Love Me
21. 6 Inch
20. Superpower (ft. Frank Ocean)
17. Run the World (Girls)
15. All Night
14. Love on Top
12. Bills, Bills, Bills (Destiny’s Child)
10. Daddy Lessons
9. Apeshit (with Jay-Z)
8. Sorry (original demo)
7. Bootylicious (Destiny’s Child)
6. Schooling Life
4. Flawless (ft. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)
3. Say my Name (Destiny’s Child)
2. Crazy in Love (ft. Jay-Z)
(I do not any of the images used in this blog post)